Thursday, April 2, 2009

Best Laid Plans of Mice and Chessmen

I have finally decided that I will registrar for the Canadian Open in Edmonton this July. I have been fortunate enough to play in one other Canadian Open back in the late 80's in Sudbury, Ontario. I was able to go at that time because the PEI chess Association had managed to get a donation of airfare from CanadianAir for the winner of the PEI open. One other PEI player (David Sherren) came with me. Neither of us played as well as we hoped, but we both learned something from the trip and had a good time.

This time I want to play up to my expectations and have set a goal for myself in terms of performance. In preparation, I planned on playing in a few more chess tournaments in the coming months. My first target was to enter the sectional round robin Aaron Sequillion was organizing for A class players in Edmonton this May. It would have worked out perfectly for me but unfortunately when I tried to register he had just filled out the last open spots earlier that day. I told him to keep me in mind if anyone drops out, but I'm not counting on that.

Next, I looked at the Road warrior schedule for Alberta chess tournaments and saw that I might be able to play in the April Red Deer Open. I re-arranged some work and personal appointments to make that possible but, alas, once again my plans were foiled. Last night I was browsing the Alberta Chess Association Webpage and noticed a post that the Red Deer Open has been cancelled.

I feel like there is a curse on my chess plans. It looks like the only pre-Canadian Open preparation I may get is the Battle At The Border tournament in Lloydminster in June.

No comments: